Friday, October 07, 2005

Footblogging #4 (NFL #5)

The King has spoken, and has designated the following tilts for our analysis. They aren't getting any easier. My fear isn't the close point spreads as much as it is the parity in the NFL, and the difficulty in reading trends this early in the season. I may even have to try a dart board strategy, if for no other reason, to just compare the results.

Here we go:

1. at (-3)
Sunday, 1 p.m. on FOX

The NFC Norris is probably the most pathetic division in the history of pro sports, at least at this juncture of the Season. In CNNSI's Power Rankings of all 32 football teams, the Norris comprises 4 of the last 6 spots on the list (27 MN, 28 CHI, 29 DET, 30 SF, 31 GB, 32 HOU) Until one of these clubs can start winning CONSISTENTLY, I will be hard pressed to favor any of them to win. Makes things real scary when they start playing each other. Take the Browns, handily, over the Bears.

2. at (-1)
Sunday, 1 p.m. on CBS

See above on my feelings about a member of the NFC Norris. Detroilet would be my current choice to survive the bloodletting and finish atop the division. But they won't start here against a strong, yet still struggling Baltimore club. The Kittens will have a tough time getting anything going, and since they have yet to display a formidable arial attack, points will be hard to come by. Baltimore will have a chance to show what they are made of, and the Motor City Kitties will be easy pickin’s for them. Baltimore takes this match-up, by more then the measly point the bookies allotted them.

3. at (-3)
Sunday, 1 p.m. on CBS

OK, I said it would be a challenge for me to give up on last years' world champion until something happened to knock them off the hill. That something (the Indianapolis Colts) happened last Sunday in my only miss of the weekend. Even though Atlanta QB Michael Vick is a little gimpy, so is a good chunk of the Patriot's defense. Atlanta proved last week (OK, hard to call it proof when they were playing the inept Queenies), that even without Vick, the system rolls along. Atlanta looks for real, if for no other reason, they have proven they are deep enough to thwart off injuries to key position players. That will make the difference in this match up. The Dirty Birds continue to roll, and handle the Pats by more then a field goal.

So there's my take. Now off to KAR to see if LFoot has rolled the dice yet . . . . . Oh goody, I get a chance to make up some ground. And judging by the chants I heard as I left Keagan's last night, I have a lot of people pulling for me.

"Beat the Foot, Beat the Foot, Beat the Foot!!"

Flash

UPDATE: I Suck! The one game I did get right was the same one I picked with Foot, he got the other two, and puts on the spread. TIme to pull out the dartboard.

No comments: