Monday, November 28, 2005

Holiday Weekend Recap!

It's kind of nice to just shut down the ole Blog and walk away for a few days, and this weekend was busy enough all on it's own.

Thanksgiving day I filled the house with the aromas of the holiday. I love to cook, and I do the full spread. 15+ lbs Turkey (stuffed), White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Corn, Cranberry Sauce (I'm a Jelly guy), and of course, Pumpkin Pie. For the first time, I boiled down the old carcass for turkey soup. I love making soup, but usually it is Bean soup, so this was my first attempt at Turkey Soup. MMmmmmmm Yummy!

Friday morning required at least one excursion to the Black Friday sales. I opted for a quick jaunt to Radio Shack to snag on of the 49.99 1 Gig MP3 players. Even though it was after 9:00, they still had two left, the last two. I bought them both. The stores was kind of dead, with 6 employees there to great me. My boys and I were the only customers in the store. We then ventured to Sears to check out some leather jackets, again the store was rather empty for the day after Thanksgiving, but I went on with my business so I could get out of there quickly.

Once home, the oldest boy prepared for his shift at Target, while the younger two made sure they were packed and ready for a day with their Auntie. My wife and I would be traveling to St. peter, MN for the evening and my FANTASTIC sister agreed to spend quality-bonding time with her nephews. I can't begin to tell her how much I appreciated her help.

With the boys taken care of, it was off to St. Peter, for the annual Govenaire end of the year Awards banquet. It was GREAT to see old friends that I spent all summer performing with. The banquet is the official end of the 2005 season. Most everyone dressed all fancy, which is always interesting since we have spent all summer seeing each other all sweaty and casual. I was fortunate enough to be honored as the 'Rookie of the Year'. But the big surprise was the second to the last award, the "Drum Major/Corps Director Choice" award. He hesitated briefly, stating he was unsure if he could give this award to the person he had in mind, because he has never given it to a Rookie before. He then announced the winner, 'FLASH'. What an honor, and what an end to a fantastic season. I had the time of my life this year, and after watching the video of our performance at Nationals, I realized what a fine Drum Corps we had!!

The remainder of my weekend continued to be non political and blog free. It was refreshing to clear the mind, and have a restful relaxing weekend. And the fact the ViKings made it four in a row, made it only that much sweeter.

I hope you all had as great a weekend as I!!

Flash

No comments: