Monday, April 17, 2006

Left of Centrisity

I have been taunted recently by my Right leaning friends that I should change the name of my Blog to 'Left of Centrisity' I have never masked my Left lean to the various platform issues out there. I say as much in my tag line up on the banner. I maintain my Moderate credibility when I distance myself from the Left on key issues. I support the Minnesota Personal Protection Act, I am open to the funding of private schools through a public compensation formula as long as it protects the needs of the public school system, and I have not wavered on our need to use whatever force necessary to battle the evil and terror in this world. So it did not surprise me when I read Jeff's quicky blurb a BotML:
I’m still a moderate overall, but the past four years have pushed me further to the left than I once was. In part this is a natural reaction, I think–above all else, I’m a pragmatist, and if the Bush administration hasn’t proven the moral bankruptcy and intellectual vacuity of the right, I don’t know what else could.
Some claim the moderate middle is just a bunch wishy washies who can't make up their mind. I believe the middle is a large group of individuals with strong beliefs and a commitment to finding common ground to move our society forward. Unfortunately, the far Right has a strangle hold on power and aren't all that willing to debate, discuss, or even negotiate towards this common good. It is a 'their way or the highway' mentality. I believe that is why the President's poll numbers continue to plummet:
Sunday April 16, 2006--Thirty-nine percent (39%) of American adults approve of the way George W. Bush is performing his role as President. That's the lowest level of approval ever measured by Rasmussen Reports.
I believe the American public is becoming more disenfranchised with the current status quo.

So I will agree that I may have moved a little bit further left over the past couple years, but would maintain that the electorate has moved left with me. And if we could count those who were on either side of me, that number probably hasn't changed much over the last several years.

Flash

No comments: