Wednesday, August 01, 2007

35W MIssissippi Bridge collapses

Strib Reports:
The Interstate Hwy. 35W bridge over the Mississippi River collapsed during the evening rush hour Wednesday, dumping at least eight cars and a truck into the water and onto the land below, creating a horrific scene of damage, fire, smoke, injuries, frantic rescuers and terrified motorists.
All my hopes to the victims and rescue workers as they work their craft to get people to safety. I am sure we'll have plenty to digest later this evening.

Flash

More Posts:

Minnesota Nice * I-35W
Photos * I-35W
Corps Family * I-35W

UPDATE:

via SitD, an eyewitness account. A snippet:
I was on a river cruise this evening and witnessed the I-35W Bridge collapse. Here is my account.

Shortly after 6 PM today I was on a Mississippi river dinner cruise organized by my work. We left from Boom Island, heading down river towards St. Paul. Enjoying a cold one as we passed through the Upper Lock by St. Anthony Falls on a pleasant warm evening, the only worry was that the rain wouldn't hold off until our cruise was complete. I made my way up to the front of the boat to watch, along with a half-dozen or so others, as the boat approached the Lower Lock. Then I saw something I hope I never see the like of again.

As our boat approach the entrance of the lock, the bridge a few hundred yards beyond collapsed before our very eyes.

No comments: