Tuesday, February 26, 2008

It's About the Funding: HF2800

For all his faults, and there are many, Mitch used to be THE best blogger in the state. But over the years he has become beholden to a failed and flawed ideology. Him, and the rest of his ScaifeNet partners are so caught up in memes and talking points they have gotten to the point they don't even recognize what is really going on. Case in point, the Transportation Bill. Mitch shares the meme:
he DFL’s 6-plus billion dollar Mass Transit Subsidy “Transportation” bill.
or
his pork-barrel monstrosity.
Lets see who wanted to spend how much, and what they were going to spend it on.

I sent requests to both DFL and MNGOP offices yesterday to ask about their take and priorities, both funding and spending, as the veto over-ride was being debated. Mitch kept on talking about Pork in the bill, mass transit subsidy, and 6.6 billion in taxes (or was that the MNGOP commercial, I can't keep the two straight). I was curious to find out where the priorities were. You know, actual facts not ideological rhetoric. The DFL responded quickly, and I thank their staff for following up with me. I have not heard from the MNGOP, yet, but can understand that, I guess. I contacted them both on the front end, using three addresses off their staff page, and through a back channel in hopes I could get some assistance that way. Regardless, their Taxapalooza and Minnesota Majority website provided me with some of what I was looking for.

On the spending front, we had a fairly unified legislature. Sure there may have been squabbles over some of the Light rail moneys, but that was less than 20% of the bill. The 6.6 billion broken down by the DFL looks like this:

· Trunk Highways: $3.4 billion
· County State-Aid Highways: $1.5 billion
· Municipal City-Aid Streets: $392 million
· Greater Minnesota Transit: $58 million
· Metropolitan Area Transit: $1.1 billion

Furthermore, the 'pork' isn't there, Mr. Berg. The majority of these broad spending guidelines are left at the discretion of MNDot. But there are some specifics in the bill:
The projects laid out in the bill are specifically 13 fracture critical bridges, including Hastings and Lafayette, and some language that makes sure Highways 60 and 14 get changed to 4 lanes.
MN Majority lists other projects that can be completed now that the moneys are there:
* I-94/I-694 from Brooklyn Blvd to I-494
* Hwy 100 north of I-394
* I-394 HOV lane conversion to MnPASS
* I-394 westbound auxiliary lane from Louisiana Ave to Hwy 169
* I-494 from France Ave to Hwy 212
* I-494 from Hwy 5 to Carlson Parkway
* I-494 first portion of Wakota Bridge
* I-94 from McKnight Rd to Hwy 120
* Hwy 100 auxiliary lanes from Hwy 7 to I-394 Hwy 169 at Anderson Lakes Parkway and Pioneer Trail
And yet, ScaifeNet proclaims the 6.6 billion spending are over board and pork barrel, but what did the GOP proposal look like (careful PDF) WHAT, over 7.5 BILLION. Almost 1 BILLION more than the approved legislation. That can't be . . . . Oh sure it can. The Right is good at finagling numbers. And where they wanted to raised a billion more than is in the bill, I can't find what they were going to spend it on. Which leads me to believe they weren't really in dispute of the spending formulas, only the funding portion.

The DFL funding was balanced and reasonable. I would have liked to see the Sales tax portion off the table, and an incorporation of some of the creative financing mechanisms in the GOP proposal included. But when someone refuses to negotiate in good faith you have no choice but to go it alone. And in this case, 6 brave and fiscally responsible Republicans recognized that.
· Five-cent gas tax increase: $160 million/year ($1.6 billion over 10 years)

· Debt service surcharge: $110 million/year when 3.5-cent cap reached in 2013 ($922 million over 10 years).

· Metropolitan area quarter-cent sales tax: $110 million/year ($1.1 billion over 10 years)

· Vehicle registration tax changes: $1.9 billion over 10 years

· Trunk highway bonding: $1.8 billion over 10 years
So that's where we are at. The GOP will point fingers without accepting responsibility. They chose to play hard ball and the DFL called their bluff. Sane and reasonable people prevailed and the future of our transportation infrastructure is on its way to the 21st century.

Instead of recognizing their failure, they are instituting a purity test and will go after the renegades within their caucus. That is fine, I guess, in the short term. All that will do is replace those members with true blue Democratic candidates. But that has been the case with these Right Winger ScaifeNet blogs of late. They do more to elect more Democrats than those on the Left. For that, I thank them!!

Flash

11 comments:

etechnocraft said...

Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is very cool.Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs every day.
Write For Us Law

etechnocraft said...

Thank you from me as a yoga student. Again thanks for sharing the info. Keep giving us good post. Best of luck for your blog. Thank you Dear. Write For Us Technology

NIA said...

*Thanks for making the honest attempt to speak about this. I believe very robust approximately it and want to read more. If it’s OK, as you gain more in depth wisdom, would you thoughts adding extra articles similar to this one with additional information? It might be extremely useful and useful for me and my friends.

Write for us Education
Write for us Travel
Write for us Technology

NIA said...



eally like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you?
Plzz answer back as I’m looking to construct
my own blog and would like to find ouut where u got this from.


Write for us Automotive
Write for us Education
Write for us Fashion
Write for us Finance

unknown said...

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my website so i
came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to find things to enhance my
site!I suppose its ok to use some of your ideas!!
write for us education
write for us technology
write for us gambling

unknown said...

great blog
movie rules
movie rules downloading
jalshamoviez

NIA said...



This makes me somewhat upset. Im not pointing fingers at you though, I think it is everyone else out there that isnt taking notice.

Write for us Gambling

surbhi said...

It’s not my first time to go to see this website, i am visiting this website dailly and obtain pleasant data from here daily.
Automotive Write for Us

Education Write for us

Fashion write for us

Finance write for us

Cricket id said...

we even tend to have jackpot games wherever your credit balance can increase with every entry.

Cricket id said...

The first thing you want to do is to choose the pricing process, using the amount of money or from the Mobile Walletsdiamondexch
diamon exchange
diamonexch 9
dimondexch com
diamond exchange id
diamond exchange 9

Cricket id said...
This comment has been removed by the author.