Thursday, November 13, 2008

Veteran's Day Reply from Sgt. Tom

I sent Sgt. Tom a Veteran's day Thank you. Here are excerpts from my letter, and his response:

I just wanted to take the time to tell you how proud I am of you, and all the armed services who are, and have, defended this great nation of ours. Hardly a day goes by were I am not thinking of you and praying for your safety.

I had several people come up to me yesterday asking about how you were doing. It is nice to know they have you in their thoughts as well.
Thanks dad that means a lot.
So your last E-Mail said you reconsidered re-upping so you can go to school. Did the desert change your mind? As for a school, the U of MN has a great program *wink* Would LOVE to have you back in the state. We miss you to death!
The desert didn't really affect my state of mind, it was more looking at the way the machine affects the people who have been in for a long time. . . . On the other hand you also get stronger in other areas. I guess its a hand off. I look at it as I did my time, now its time to move on. With the new GI bill taking effect in Aug 2009, I will be properly equipped to move on to the next level. If you ever have time to kill you should Google "new GI Bill" (ed- I did). They started a site for it. Its pretty good stuff.

I would like to be a structural engineer, or do something in developing more efficient alternative energy. I'm not sure but I will figure out as I get further down the path. Right now I have 9 months left on my contract. pretty crazy to think its been near 5 years since I got out of High School.
The Boys passed all their classes first quarter, which was a relief. Things were kind of touch and go for awhile there,
Well I am glad the boys got through the first quarter, I just wish they knew what I know now. The value of an education. If I have gotten anything from the Marine Corps its an appreciation for higher learning lol.

Well I gotta run dad, It was great hearing from you.

Love your son

Tom
That's my boy, I am so proud of him!!

Proud Marine Dad!

No comments: