Friday, March 26, 2010

No Room in the Inn

The tag line on this blog is "Being right, even tho you lean Left", but over the years my ideology has shifted more Right to the point I could adequately argue I actually lean Right (pro Defense, Pro 2nd Amendment, pro Death Penalty, Pro education Voucher, fiscal conservative, against both Stimulus bills Pres Bush's and Pres Obama's, uncomfortable with the TARP package, etc). But my voting pattern remains predominantly Democratic, and there is a reason.

See, within the DFL party here in Minnesota, I am accepted, and I can debate and work withing the systems for compromise in hopes of moderating what can be a far Left ideology that can make me cringe.

But with the GOP, if you aren't pure enough, they don't want you. The Pup Tent party is about purity, and if you won't tow the line, out you go. Look what happened to Specter, look what is happening to moderate GOP candidates who are now being challenged by far Right Tea Party activists.

Oh, sure it happens on the Left as well. Lieberman had his troubles, but like Randy Kelly locally, it was because they abandoned, wholesale, the party including endorsing candidate from the other party. To their credit they acted on principle. What we see now in the GOP is their candidates running further to the Right to preserve their purity, since the alternative is electoral defeat amongst their own.

John McCain is only a shadow of his former self. He has moved significantly to the Right. Once he was the compromisor, the one who could bring both sides to the table on issue like Health Care. But even though the primary funding mechanism that was part of his proposal during the Presidential campaign was adopted, he still aligned with the obstructionist party. He knew that any hint of breaking ranks for the betterment of the country, would have been electoral suicide. Even still he has to bring in Palin to prop up himself in a primary battle in his home state.

The other day, former Bush speechwriter, and conservative think tank member had the gall to speak his mind and let the GOP know that they made a mistake, and even shared ways to get them back on track. How was he rewarded with this frank talk and honest spiel, he has become a pariah of the party, and was fired from the 'think tank':
I have been a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute since 2003. At lunch today, AEI President Arthur Brooks and I came to a termination of that relationship.

Below is the text of my letter of resignation.

Dear Arthur,

This will memorialize our conversation at lunch today. Effective immediately, my position as a resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute is terminated. I appreciate the consideration that delays my emptying of my office until after my return from travel next week. Premises will be vacated no later than April 9.

I have had many fruitful years at the American Enterprise Institute, and I do regret this abrupt and unexpected conclusion of our relationship.

Very truly yours,

David Frum
Frum has gone from being touted as a President Bush's former speechwriter to a 'disgruntled former staffer.

If there isn't room for the David Frum's in the Pup Tent Party, what would make me think they would have space for me.

Flash

No comments: